A Piece of Britain - award winning heritage by Hazle Ceramics
Royal
Royal 2
Royal 3
London 1
London 2
Classic 1
Classic 2
Classic 3
China Town

Click for full size

Ye Olde Chantry

Introduction
The was once the home of Christopher Martin, The Mayflower ship’s treasurer and provisioner plus passenger governor for half of the 66 day voyage in 1620. The flour was said to be milled locally in a windmill on Bell Hill. Other Essex pilgrims probably met here to say their goodbyes and pray on that final night.

click for full size

Hazle Ceramics
Ye Olde Chantry
on Billericay

£51.50 Worldwide
With Free Postage

 This Indian restaurant at 61 High Street in Billericay is close to Hazle Ceramics. Dated 1367 it once had a private chapel as a Chantry House. Chantries were monetary trusts for priests to sing masses for the dead, ended by King Henry VIII in 1547. Rebuilt in 1510 not 1501 as above, it almost went to the US in 1920!

Click to add to basket

 The Mayflower was built in and set sail from Harwich, Essex with the captain, many of the crew and 102 pilgrims from the county. After a few days at Plymouth, Devon above, the ship left for the US in September 1620. Off course for Virginia, it hit land at Plymouth, Cape Cod. The 400th Anniversary takes place in 2020.

 Porch of St Mary Magdelene in nearby Great Burstead where Martin was once church warden.

 Anchored at Plymouth, Martin was one of 41 men signing the Mayflower Compact on board, with rules for order and survival. He, his wife Marie, stepson Solomon Prower and their servant John Langmore died in the first harsh winter.

 Great Burstead Church, far left, has this Mayflower window. From c500AD the mother church for the area was here. From 1342 Billericay had a Chantry Chapel, now lost, and only got a Parish Church in 1844.

 In 1607 Martin married widow Marie Prower in Great Burstead.

  Blog   Currency Converter Links