A Piece of Britain - award winning heritage by Hazle Ceramics
Royal
Royal 2
London 1
London 2
Classic 1
Classic 2

The Chemist

Click for full size

Introduction
Hazle issued this model in 1991. In the 1600s apothecaries prescribed drugs and treated those unable to pay a physician. In 1841 The Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain was formed, allowing pharmacists and chemists to manufacture and also dispense medicines. Under the Pharmacy Act of 1868 they had to pass an exam and register with the Society.

could make and dispense medicinal compounds but not prescribe them.

 Part of Bath’s rebuilding in local stone and Palladian style in the late 1700s, Argyle Street runs over the famous shop-lined Pulteney Bridge. Hazle used the flat roof and dormer window from the pub, right. Jane Austen walked this way into the city from 4 Sydney Place, 1801-4.

click for full size

Hazle Ceramics
The Chemist
on Bath Chemist
Fronts were signed by Hazle as Hazle Boyles only from 1991-2

£55.50 Worldwide
With Free Postage

Click to add to basket

 A H Hale at No 8A dates from 1826. This shop front from c1828 is an early example of the 1830-40s neo-classical designs, with its Ionic columns and a heavy entablature over.

 Clowes in Buxton, 1899. Jars and drawers had small amounts of labelled drugs and chemicals in natural, liquid or powdered forms.

 Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, consulted with a Surgeon-Apothecary from this building. Her coat of arms is still above. She stayed at lavish 93 Sydney Place twice to take Bath waters in 1817, the year before she died.

 Chemists used tiled adverts, such as this one for the headache potion Sea Breeze from Leicester in 1903.

Privacy Policy Blog   Currency Converter Links