A Piece of Britain - award winning heritage by Hazle Ceramics
Classic 1
Classic 2
Classic 3
London 1
Royal

The Pharmacy

Click for full size

Introduction
Hazle issued the popular Chemist building in 1991. In the 1600s apothecaries prescribed drugs and treated those unable to afford a physician. In 1841 the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain was formed for chemists, who could only make and dispense medicines. The Pharmacy Act 1868 also required them to pass an exam and register with the Society.

could make and dispense medicinal compounds but not prescribe them.

 Bath was rebuilt in local stone and Palladian style in the late 1700s. Argyle Street, above, goes over shop-lined Pulteney Bridge. The roof and dormer window are from the pub, right. Jane Austen walked this way into the city from her home at 4 Sydney Place, 1801-4.

click for full size

Hazle Ceramics
The Pharmacy
on Bath Chemist
Issued in 1991, there are fewer Pharmacies than blue Chemists

£64.50 Worldwide
With Free Postage

 A H Hale at No 8A dates from 1826. This shopfront dated circa 1828 is an early example of the neo-classical designs of the 1830-40s with its Ionic columns and heavy entablature.

Click to add to basket

 Clowes in Buxton, 1899. Jars and drawers had small amounts of labelled drugs and chemicals in natural, liquid or powder forms.

 As indicated by her coat of arms above, Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III, likely consulted an apothecary from here. She resided twice at 93 Sydney Place to take the Bath waters in 1817, the year before her death.

 In 1903 T E Pugh included a tiled advert for his headache potion Sea Breeze on this facade in Leicester.

Privacy Policy Blog   Currency Converter Links